The University of Wisconsin-Madison ranks No. 196 of 500 on Forbes’ 2023 “America’s Best Large Employers” list — right above Best Buy and Chanel.
Roughly 45,000 participants ranked their employers based on if they’d recommend the employer to others. The survey only included institutions and companies with 5,000+ employees.
In addition to being highly ranked by its employees, UW-Madison’s economic impact is also notable. Here are some fast facts about the university that complement its impressive Forbes ranking:
- $1 billion — output of local and state taxes generated
- $26 — amount returned to the economy for every $1 the state invests in UW-Madison
- 92% — percentage of economic activity that benefits the private sector
- $30 billion — overall annual impact on the state’s economy
- 400+ — number of Wisconsin startups formed upon UW intellectual property and/or the work of staff + students.