Next on our neighborhood guide is Dudgeon-Monroe + Vilas. This area of Madison was home to Wisconsin’s first public road — Monroe Road, now known as Monroe Street. The neighborhood was first established as a booming commercial site in the 1850s + has continued to foster that same spirit for nearly 200 years.
The neighborhood has preserved its vibrant edge from the eclectic businesses and residents that make it a community. The laidback retail and dining hub is a haven for foodies, tchotchke collectors + fashionistas. We can’t wait to show you around.
Start with a breakfast — or brunch — of champions
- Mickie’s Dairy Bar | 1511 Monroe St. | Wed. + Thurs., 7 a.m.-2 p.m., Fri. + Sat., 6 a.m.-2 p.m., Sun., 7 a.m.-2 p.m. | Try this: The pancake… singular.
- Bloom Bake Shop | 1851 Monroe St. | Tues.-Sat., 8 a.m.-3 p.m. + Sun., 9 a.m.-1 p.m. | Try this: Sweet potato donut + a cafe au lait.
- Crescendo Espresso Bar & Music Cafe | 1859 Monroe St. | Mon.-Sat., 7 a.m.-5 p.m. + Sun., 7 a.m.-3 p.m. | Try this: Nitro cold press + the daybreaker.
- Colectivo Coffee | 2530 Monroe St. | Mon.-Sun., 6:30 a.m.-2 p.m. | Try this: Pistachio matcha latte + a cardamom sunshine bun.
- Gates & Brovi | 3502 Monroe St. | Brunch available Sat. + Sun., 9:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. | Try this: Shrimp cake eggs benedict + roasted beet salad.
Get outside and get the body moving
- Madison BCycle | 797 Harrison St. | Grab a bike and hit the southwest commuter path or check out these rides for more mileage.
- Wingra Park and Boat Livery | 824 Knickerbocker St. | Rent canoes + kayaks, join a pickup soccer game, or enjoy a picnic along the shoreline.
- Glenwood Children’s Park | 3502 Gregory St. | Enjoy the play structure + bring a ball to shoot some hoops.
Shop local on Monroe Street
- Strictly Discs | 1900 Monroe St. | Hours vary | Browse an eclectic mix of contemporary + classic vinyl, CDs, and stereo equipment.
- Art Gecko | 1725 Monroe St. | Mon.-Sat., 11 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sun., 11 a.m.-4 p.m. | A collection of unique bohemian homewares, clothing + holistic goods.
- Good Day Shop | 1925 Monroe St. | Wed.-Sat., 11 a.m.-5 p.m. + Sun., 11 a.m.-4 p.m. | Shop a curation of lifestyle and home goods from mindful brands + indie makers.
- Hive of Madison | 1904 Monroe St. | Mon.-Fri., 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m. + Sun., 11 a.m.-5 p.m. | An outdoorsy boutique celebrating the active + eco-friendly city that is the 608.
- Orange Tree Imports | 1721 Monroe St. | Sun.-Mon., 12-4 p.m. + Tues.-Sat., 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. | A specialty import shop with everything from kitchen essentials to body products and more.
- Sunne Boutique | 2534 Monroe St. | Tues.-Sat., 11 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sun., 12-5 p.m. | A women’s clothing store celebrating sustainability in fashion.
- Mystery to Me | 1863 Monroe St. | Tues.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m. + Sun., 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | An independently owned bookstore with an extremely well organized + thoughtful library. This is one of City Editor Ryan’s favorite shops in town.
- Katy’s American Indian Arts | 1817 Monroe St. | Wed.-Sat., 12-4 p.m. | A Native American jewelry and craft shop with nearly 50 years of history in the area.
- Neuhauser Pharmacy | 1875 Monroe St. | Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sat., 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | A local health mart servicing pharmaceutical + wellness needs.
- MadCat Pet Supplies | 2701 Monroe St. | Mon.-Sun., 10 a.m.-6 p.m. | A trusted pet supply provider serving Madison for 20 years.
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere
- Barriques Wine Cave | 1825 Monroe St. | Mon.-Sat., 6:30 a.m.-7 p.m. + Sun., 7 a.m.- 6 p.m. | Peruse a wide selection of spirits + beers or sign-up for an in-person wine tasting course.
- Garth’s Brew Bar | 1726 Monroe St. | Tues.-Fri., 5-9 p.m., Sat., 3-9 p.m. + Sun., 2-7 p.m. | Enjoy the cozy ambiance and educated staff — aficionados can inquire about tastings + trainings too.
- The Wine & Hop Shop | 1919 Monroe St. | Hours vary | Shop for supplies from the original winemakers + homebrewers of Madison.
- Brasserie V | 1923 Monroe St. | Wed., 4-9 p.m., Thurs., 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. + Fri.-Sat., 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. | A European-inspired brasserie + tap room.
Sit down for a well-deserved dinner
- Everly | 2701 Monroe St. | Try this: Butternut squash + forbidden rice curry
- Fairchild Restaurant | 2611 Monroe St | Pro tip: Be sure to make a reservation + keep an eye on rotating menus.
- Taste of India | 2623 Monroe St. | Pro tip: Check out the lunch buffet + come ready to eat.
- Miko Poké | 2701 Monroe St. | Try this: Hawaiian tuna poke bowl + ginger lime shaved ice.
- Laurel Tavern | 2505 Monroe St. | Pro tip: A classic, homey spot for a Friday night fish fry.
- Marie’s Soul Food | 1637 Monroe St. | Pro tip: Order family-style meals and mix + match a soul food feast for the group.
- Pizza Brutta | 1805 Monroe St. | Try this: Bambini pie + a Caprese salad.
- Sequoia | 1843 Monroe St. | Try this: Sequoia ramen + Thai iced tea.
- Kettle Black Kitchen | 1835 Monroe St. | Try this: Shrimp and grits + the French onion soup.
Cheers to the weekend
On the First Friday of every month, Monroe Street hosts a special community shopping event where retailers + boutiques extend hours from 4-7 p.m. Participate in food pop-ups, shop bogo bargains, and experience the community of the Dudgeon-Monroe neighborhood.
On Friday, April 1 — be sure to check out:
- Basecamp Fitness | 1730 Monroe St.
- Bloom Bake Shop | 1851 Monroe St.
- Good Day Shop | 1925 Monroe St.
- Hive of Madison | 1904 Monroe St.
- Mystery to Me | 1863 Monroe St.
- Orange Tree Imports | 1721 Monroe St.
- The Trend Boutique | 1639 Monroe St.
There’s still much more to explore. Let us know below which neighborhood we should highlight next.