Get stoked for a sticker (and the pride of fulfilling your civic duty). The 2023 spring election is tomorrow and we can’t wait to color in some bubbles. Here’s how to get involved and what you’ll be voting on.
What if I’m not registered?
You can register at the polls as long as you bring a valid ID and proof of residence — check out this list of acceptable forms.
Where do I vote?
Find the closest polling location to you via MyVote Wisconsin’s online tool. Polling places will be open 7 a.m-8 p.m. — anyone still in line by 8 p.m. will still be able to vote.
The best voter is an informed voter. Plug in your address here to find ballot information specific to your area like voting on your district’s alderperson.
Here’s what’s on the docket for tomorrow:
Justice Of The Supreme Court
- Janet C. Protasiewicz
- Daniel Kelly
- Gloria Reyes
- Satya Rhodes-Conway
Madison Metropolitan School District School Board Member, Seat six
- Badri Lankella
- Blair Mosner Feltham
Madison Metropolitan School District School Board Member, Seat seven
- Nicki Vander Meulen
State of Wisconsin referendum questions
- Conditions of release before conviction — Shall section 8 (2) of article I of the constitution be amended to allow a court to impose on an accused person being released before conviction conditions that are designed to protect the community from serious harm?
- Cash bail before conviction — Shall section 8 (2) of article I of the constitution be amended to allow a court to impose cash bail on a person accused of a violent crime based on the totality of the circumstances, including the accused’s previous convictions for a violent crime, the probability that the accused will fail to appear, the need to protect the community from serious harm and prevent witness intimidation, and potential affirmative defenses?
- Shall able-bodied, childless adults be required to look for work in order to receive taxpayer-funded welfare benefits?
Dane County referendum questions
- Should the Wisconsin Constitution be amended to require a nonpartisan system for redistricting legislative and congressional districts in the state?
- Should the Wisconsin Legislature adopt an amendment to the Wisconsin Constitution creating a new right to privacy that would protect rights such as abortion, same-sex marriage, and interracial marriage?
Municipal referendum question
- Shall the Charter Ordinances of the City of Madison be amended to establish staggered two-year terms for members of the Common Council beginning in 2025, with the 2025 Spring Election including one-year terms for alders in even-numbered Districts and in subsequent elections the term for all alders shall be two years?
Phew, that’s a lot of information. If you’re looking for some extra insight, check out the explanatory statements for the State, Dane County, and municipal referendum questions.
For more information, contact the Madison Clerk’s Office — open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. — at (608) 266-4601 or check out the city’s Elections and Voting page.