Support Us Button Widget

Who you gonna call? Jot down the contact info for these Madison-area resources

From flood damage to environmental health concerns, here are a few city resources to keep in your Rolodex.

608 ghostbusters van

And if you see a ghost, call Madison’s own Ghostbuster Scotty Rorek. | Photo by Scotty Rorek

We ain’t ‘fraid of no ghost, but we are scared of flood damage, contaminated drinking water, and environmental health problems. We rounded up a few resources to answer the age-old question: Who you gonna call?

If there’s something strange...

Drinking water problems
If your tap water has a strange look or smell, call the city’s Water Utility Department at 608-266-4641, or the 24-hour line at 608-266-4665.

Animal collection
Submit a request online, or call 608-266-4430 to have the city pick up a dead animal on your property. your neighborhood

Barking dogs
Is there a barking dog keeping you up at night? Instead of venturing into the dark neighborhood searching for Fido, call the non-emergency line at 608-266-4275.

Boat noise
While East Washington Avenue residents are serenaded by revving engines, those who live lakeside experience a different type of traffic noise. Boats can’t operate at a noise level that exceeds 86 decibels, call the DNR Tip Line at 1-800-847-9367 to report excessive noise.

Contact your Alder
Learn more about the Common Council, city government, and how you can get involved by reaching out to your district’s Alderperson.

If there’s something weird...

Environmental health problems
If you notice something weird while out and about, Public Health Madison and Dane County wants to hear about it.


  • Public pools
  • Restaurants
  • Tattoo parlors
  • Septic systems
  • Lodging conditions
  • Mold
  • Air quality
  • Pests
  • Unsanitary living conditions

....and it don’t look good

Tree damage
If a tree falls...

  • Onto the sidewalk or street | Forestry Department | 608-266-4816 or 608 255-2345 (after hours)
  • Onto a power line | MG&E | 608-252-7111

Flood damage
Call the Engineering Department at 608-266-4430 if clogged grates or waterways are causing an imminent threat to your property.

Exterior housing
Note: If the violation can’t be seen from the sidewalk, the city may ask permission to enter your property.