Maybe you have some extra time on your hands, or maybe you’re just in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in Madison to support with your time. Whether you’re an animal lover, an artsy type, a natural mentor, or a healthcare enthusiast — there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you. We found 30 ways to get involved in the 608.
- Promedica Hospice | `Help with the daily care of hospice patients’ pets.
- Dane County Humane Society | Lend a hand with in-shelter tasks or provide at-home support.
- Shelter from the Storm | Socialize with cats, walk dogs, or help staff with housekeeping duties at this local animal rescue.
- Heartland Farm Sanctuary | If you have compassion for all living things, this sanctuary is a perfect place to assist in the field or in the office.
- Angel’s Wish | Spend time at the adoption center or open your home to foster a feline friend.
Caring and crafty
- Arts + Lit Lab | Help host over 200 events each year with ranging roles + responsibilities.
- Arts for ALL | Volunteers are the backbone of this program which conducts classes in visual art, music, and movement for adults with disabilities.
- Friends of Madison Arts Commission | Serve on the board or participate in events to support and advance the arts in Madison.
- Giving From Our Hands + Hearts | Create quilts, shawls, and mittens to donate to nonprofits + help people stay warm.
Help community members
- Habitat for Humanity Dane County | Provide critical support building homes, serving on committees, or working at the Habitat ReStores.
- River Food Pantry | Feed your community at the pantry or on the road via the mobile meal program + grocery deliveries.
- Vets Helping Vets | Support this program that matches Veterans in need with drivers who are fellow Vets.
- Driver Services Program | Help older adults in the community remain independent by driving them to medical appointments and delivering meals.
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens | Plant, weed, water, and prune through the garden’s extensive volunteer program.
- Madison Parks Flower Gardens | Ever wonder how the local park gardens stay maintained? They are designed, planted, and maintained by volunteers every year.
- Adopt an Ice Rink | ‘Tis the season. Assist parks staff with flooding, snow removal, and general maintenance of public rinks.
- Smith’s Crossing Community Garden | Put your green thumb to good use + lead a fall clean-up crew at the community garden.
If you’re interested in healthcare
- UW Health | Whatever your medical interest is, UW Health has an opportunity available. You can even be a bedside DJ for patients who find comfort in music.
- Madison Free Clinic | The clinic is currently looking for nurses and bilingual interpreters to offer specialty care for uninsured locals.
- American Family Children’s Hospital | Be a patient buddy in the playroom or find a position working with the pharmacy team.
Natural-born teachers + mentors
- Foster Grandparents | Help local kids by being a consistent, caring role model that provides one-on-one adult attention.
- Inter-generational Tutor Program | Socially enrich the youth of your community via in-person tutoring or the Computer Buddy pen pal program.
Support local minority groups
- MMSD Title VI Program | Help Native American students with mentoring, tutoring, and getting engaged at school.
- Neighborhood House Disability Program | Play games, do art, listen to music, and hang out at the New Beginnings Club for adults with disabilities.
- Madison Public Library | Help with clerical duties or organizing book sales + special events.
- Friends of UW-Madison Libraries | Plan discussions and events, coordinate book sales, or write stories about our people, collections, and activities.
- Outreach | Assist in planning and implementing client services + take part in various parties, festivals, and other events.
- LGBT Books to Prisoners | Think of this as being a “personal shopper” by fulfilling book requests for incarcerated LGBTQ people.