Mike McDonald is the creative force behind State Line Distillery, 1413 Northern Ct. — a block south of the Yahara River. In collaboration with edible Madison, Mike is showcasing this recipe as a summer libation perfect for batching + staying cool this season.
We think you should give it a try at home. Here’s what you need to get started.
Makes six servings.
State Line Tomato Sangrita
- ¾ pound tomatoes (roughly one large or two medium tomatoes)
- 13 ounces State Line American Gin
- 3 ounces fresh orange juice
- 2.5 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce grenadine
- 1/4 ounce Dashelito’s Pineapple Lava
- Pinch sea salt, plus more for garnish
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
- Lime wedges
We recommend grabbing your ingredients the local way by stopping by the Dane County Farmers’ Market or checking out these local farms + CSAs in Madison.
How to prepare the meal yourself
- Puree your tomatoes in a food processor or blender + strain the product into a pitcher with a fine-mesh sieve. Add all remaining ingredients, then stir and chill.
- To serve, run a lime wedge around half the rim and cover the rim with the desired amount of salt + pepper.
- Ice your glasses, then stir your pitcher once more before serving. Salud.
Still pining for another drink? You’re in luck. Check out a full book of recipes from the distillery covering classics like gimlets, sours, and mules. Plus, head to State Line for tours, classes + bottling, make a reservation, or just drop in for happy hour on Fridays from 3-5 p.m.