Prost! Not only a beloved German drinking exclamation, but now the 608’s newest German beer hall + restaurant located at 401 E. Washington Ave.
To build upon the Isthmus’ love of European brews and culture, Prost! brings a little piece of Deutschland directly to Madison. From the thematic decor to the extensive mix of international beer, here’s what we’re still thinking about from our trip to this lager than life drinking establishment.
📍 The venue
The beer hall is located just two blocks off the Capitol Square in a renovated church built in 1897 — previously home to Bellini Italian Restaurant.
While there’s lots to like about this venue, here are the things we loved:
- Large communal tables located directly in front of the bar.
- Stained glass windows, vaulted ceilings + thematic murals.
- Enough televisons to keep an eye on the Badgers, Packers, Bucks, and Brewers all at once (if that were possible).
🍻 The brews
With 20+ beers, ciders, and seltzers on tap, Prost! is common ground for drinkers of all kinds. Some brews you might find on the menu:
- Hefeweizen | A pale wheat beer with sweet + fruity notes.
- Kolsch | A light, hoppy ale with a malty aroma.
- Radler | A mix of hefeweizen beer + grapefruit juice.
Need to study up before your first visit? Review our local beer dictionary.
🍽️ The bites
Indulge in a mix of German classics + hometown favorites (Think: schnitzel strips and curds). The menu is broken down into three main categories: dorspeisn (starters), hauptgerichte (mains), and wurst (sausage). These are our must-trys:
- Dorspeisn | Crispy pierogries + schnitzel strips.
- Hauptgerichte | Corneed beef sandwhich.
- Wurst | Choose a mix of sausages paired with sauerkraut + all the fixings.
Pro tip: Don’t leave without trying “The Full Pretzel”, big enough to feed four.