Fall cranberry season in Wisconsin

Cranberry marsh in Wisconsin


Table of Contents

4.64 million. That’s how many barrels of cranberries the state of Wisconsin produced last fall.

With autumn in full swing + cranberry season at its peak, we’re looking at some berry interesting facts about the state fruit.

Facts about Cranberries

  • Almost $1 billion in revenue is created by the industry in Wisconsin, accounting for 4,000+ jobs.
  • Over 60% of the country’s favorite Thanksgiving fruit comes from the Badger State. The rest come from Massachusetts, Washington + Oregon.
  • It takes ~200 cranberries to make a single can of sauce + 4,000+ berries to produce a gallon of juice.
  • Only 5% of the berries are eaten fresh. The other 95% are sent off for juicing, sauce-making + drying.
  • 21,000 acres across 20 Wisconsin counties grow + harvest cranberries in their marshes.
  • The name of the fruit comes from Dutch + German settlers in the 1600s who gave it the moniker after the flower’s resemblance to the head and beak of a crane.
  • Cranberries have 4 interior air chambers, which is why marsh-flooding is the best way to harvest the fruit.
  • Nearly 20% of cranberries are eaten between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • The first marshes date back to the 1830s, before Wisconsin became a state in 1848.


More from 608today