A restaurant in Spring Green goes on the National Register for Historic Places

Frank Lloyd Wright built the restaurant across from his Taliesin.

The interior of a restaurant with wood paneling, a wood roof, windows looking out onto a forest.JPG

Frank Lloyd Wright’s restaurant opened in 1967. | Photo via Taliesin Preservation

The menu of Frank Lloyd Wright’s local architectural work is a tasty one, including places like Monona Terrace, the Gilmore House, and the Unitarian Meeting House.

Another building to make note of is not far from Madison. Near Taliesin, the Spring Green Restaurant at Riverview Terrace has just been added to the National Register of Historic Places.

The past

Frank Lloyd Wright purchased the land overlooking the Wisconsin River to build a restaurant as a gateway to his 800-acre Taliesin, Wright’s home, studio, and school. He began designing what he called Riverview Terrace in 1953. Construction commenced in 1957.

Two years later, at the age of 92, Wright passed away, and construction on the restaurant halted until 1966. Taliesin Associate Architects then took it up.

The building finally opened in 1967 as the Spring Green Restaurant. First Lady “Lady Bird” Johnson was at its opening to great acclaim.

The restaurant operated for 25 years, from 1967 to 1992, until Taliesin Preservation acquired it in 1993.

The present

The building now serves as the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center for Taliesin, which offers a variety of property tours.

The Visitor Center is open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in April and daily May through October.