Grab some hot chocolate, turn on those seat warmers, crank up the music + go for a drive to explore festivities right in your neighborhood.
Here are some of the best drivable holiday light displays in and around Dane County:
- Holiday Fantasy In Lights | Through Mon., Jan. 3 | Dusk until Dawn | Olin Park | Free | The 33rd annual Madison lights tradition.
- Rotary In Lights | Through Fri., Dec. 31 | 5-9 p.m. daily | Waunakee Village Park, 410 E. Main St. | Free | A winter wonderland featuring light-lined streets.
- University Avenue Holiday Lights | Through the new year | Dusk until Dawn | Free | A Madison tradition started by Dr. Jack Kammer.
- Hickory Hill Academy | Through the new year | 3276 S. High Point Rd. | Free | View the lights display from the parking lot.
- Wisconsin Governor’s Mansion | 99 Cambridge Rd. | Drive through the Maple Bluff neighborhood to see the peoples’ house lit up.
- Fitchburg’s Holiday Light Tour | Sat., Dec. 19 | 6-9 p.m. | Fitchburg, WI | Follow a map of participating homes + businesses and vote for a winner.
- Rotary Botanical Gardens Holiday Light Show | Through Thurs., Dec. 30 | 4:30-9 p.m. | 1455 Palmer Dr., Janesville | $5+ | One million lights, themed displays + more for kids and adults alike.
- Holiday Lights in Ripley Park | Through Sat., Jan. 1 | 5-10 p.m. daily | N4310 Park Rd., Cambridge | Free+ | A half a mile display of holiday lights in the park.
Houses in Madison that go all out:
- “Go to Colony Drive (7006 Colony Dr.) to view one of Madison’s best holiday lights displays.”
- “A Star Wars nativity scene for this Christmas season at 7514 Polar Bear Trail.” — Anne J.
- 2500 block of Upham St. | Plenty of lights + Christmas figures to brighten up your night.
- 2926 Sachs St. | A house outlined in lights with Santas + snowmen galore.
- 6202 Sharpsburg Dr. | Tune your radio to 90.5 to see lights in sync with Christmas tunes.
If you need to stretch your legs — hop out of the car to grab a bite to eat + drink some holiday spirits surrounded by lights.
- Zoo Lights 2021 | Henry Vilas Zoo | Through Thurs., Dec. 30 | Times vary | $10 | See almost 1 million lights as you stroll through the Zoo.
- Miracle on King Street Pop-up | Lucille, 101 King St. | Festive specialty cocktails, music, decor +the spirit of the holidays.
- Downtown New Glarus | 418 Railroad St., New Glarus | Take a stroll through America’s little Switzerland all decked out for the season.
- Dunder Mifflin taproom pop-up | Youngblood Beer Co., 112 King St. | Through Thurs., Dec. 23 | While it might be more paper company than holiday lights, we couldn’t resist leaving this gem off our list. After all, you can enjoy 12 Days of Holiday Beer.
Have a neighbor with a crazy lights display? Give us a shout so we can add it to our list.