Maybe you already give back year-round, or maybe practicing thankfulness this holiday season has got you in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in Madison to give your time to during the holiday season. Whether you’re an animal lover, a bookworm, a holiday enthusiast, or someone who wants to give back to community members, there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you and your crew. Here are 9 Madison organizations to show a little love to this holiday season:
🦃 If the holidays are your favorite time of the year
- Goodman Community Center | Help feed families during the holidays by volunteering for the Thanksgiving Basket Drive or organizing an in-person or virtual food drive.
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Southern Wisconsin | Give back to the community this holiday season by donating money, food, time, or hosting a food + fund drive with this hunger-relief charity.
- United Way of Dane County | This nonprofit is looking for volunteers to fill more than 500 opportunities that include decorating for the holidays, delivering meals, keeping senior citizens company + donating, sorting, and distributing new toys for the Empty Stocking Club and Toys for Tots.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Dane County | Help shape a child’s future through mentorship and spending time with them this holiday season. You can play sports together, hike, read books together, chat over some pizza, or you just share life advice and inspiration with your Little.
💙 If you want support those experiencing homelessness
- The Beacon | Support those who are experiencing homelessness in Dane County by helping make guests feel welcome, cooking, serving + working in the Computer Lab or laundry facility.
- Habitat for Humanity of Dane County | Sign up as an individual or bring your crew to participate in a one-time construction volunteer opportunity or join a regular crew and work on projects related to carpentry, drywall, siding, interior trim, painting, and landscaping.
🐶 For animal lovers
- Henry Vilas Zoo | Our local zoo has many volunteer opportunities throughout the year, and you can receive regular updates through its volunteer email to stay up-to-date on events, training, animal news, and specific volunteer needs. Currently, the zoo needs event crew volunteers for its Zoo Lights.
📚 For self-proclaimed bibliophiles
- Madison Public Library | Provide support to our public library system by sorting at the Library Support Facility, clerking at the bookstore and book sales, or serving on the Board or Committee.
❤️ For older adults
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Dane County | By matching volunteers age 55+ with community service opportunities across Dane County, RSVP Madison helps provide seniors with a sense of well-being and engagement in their local communities.