We’re berry happy you’re here, Madison (ok, we’ll admit that one was low-hanging fruit).
We’re approaching berry season — expected to start in the coming week — and the 608 has several places where you can pick berries yourself, plus local ways to include them in your next meal (or dessert).
Produce always tastes sweeter when you pick it yourself, so here are eight southern Wisconsin farms that are an easy drive away.
Pick ‘em 🍓
- Bures Berry Patch | 3760 W. Brigham Rd., Barneveld | Strawberries, peas, pumpkins | Stay up to date on what’s in harvest with Now In The Patch.
- Gracie’s Berries | 103 Oakland Rd., Cambridge | Strawberries | “U-pick” fresh berries at this cash-only farm.
- Carandale Farm | 5683 Lincoln Rd., Oregon | Strawberries | Pick your own or save time with pre-picked options.
- Furger Family Farm | N1204 Lovering Rd., Lodi | Strawberries + raspberries | Call the strawberry hotline or check Facebook for updates.
- U-Pick Strawberry Farm | 5396 Hahn Rd., DeForest | Strawberries, raspberries + pre-picked veggies | Indoor picking is in full swing + outdoor picking starts soon.
- Lutz Family Farm | 1477 County Rd. T, Marshall | Strawberries + blueberries | A small family farm with pick-your-own and pre-picked options.
- Smallfolk Farm | 1818 State Rd. 92, Mt. Horeb | Blueberries | Expect the crop to be ready for a July harvest.
Bake ‘em 🫐
- Strawberry Ice Cream | Not quite baking, but still some effort is required for Edible Madison’s sweet treat.
- Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Jam | Preserve your berries with this three-ingredient recipe.
- Blueberry Crisps | These individual berry pots are perfect with ice cream or whipped cream (or both).
- Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed Scones | Imagine the flavors of summer packed into a single, flakey pastry.