Table of Contents
Looking to meet your New Year’s resolution in the 608? From prospective bookworms to shopping sustainably, check out our local resolution recommendations below.
Read more books
- Leopold’s | 1301 Regent St. | Books, bar, and caffè — what more could one need? Check out the wide selection of books and rent out the Book Nook to conduct your very own book club.
- Madison Public Library | 201 W. Mifflin St. | A wise man once said “havin’ fun isn’t hard when you got a library card” and we couldn’t agree more. Sign up online or in person to gain free access to everything from books and magazines to downloadable content and computer time.
- Book Clubs | Various locations/online | Are you the only one of your friends and family who wants to get into reading? Websites like Meetup and allow you to search for groups tailored to your specific interests, and you get to meet new people while you’re at it.
Get in touch with nature
- Aldo Leopold Nature Center | 330 Femrite Dr. | Get in touch with your wild side at ALNC. Whether you’re looking to volunteer, get the kids in an after-school program, or need some ideas on how to get in touch with nature in your day-to-day life, they’ve got you covered.
- Madison Audubon | 211 S. Paterson St. | Bird is the word at this local conservation organization. Learn all about south-central Wisconsin’s bird scene and how our winged friends interact with and affect the environment. Pro tip: Check back in the spring to get in on one of their field trips.
- UW Arboretum | 1207 Seminole Hwy. | Did you know that our arboretum is home to the oldest and most varied collection of restored ecological communities in the world? Take advantage of this local resource on your own or tag along on one of the many free and educational events like a full moon walk or winter critter stroll.
Conquer Dry January
- Blind Shot Social Club | 177 S. Fair Oaks Ave. | With the largest non-alcoholic drink menu in Wisconsin, you’re bound to find something you’ll enjoy, whether it’s a cocktail in-house or a bottle for the road. Pro tip: The golf simulator and seasonal food menus make this a great date spot.
- Lucille | 101 King St. | Whether you prefer wine, beer, or seltzers, the Free Spirited menu offers multiple NA options that will pair perfectly with your pizza.
- Rude Brew Kombucha | 1219 Sherman Ave. | Swap out your craft beer for a locally brewed kombucha. This Madison-based company has a variety of unique flavors to keep your taste buds tantalized this January.
Get sustainably stylish
- Upshift | 836 E. Johnson St. | This 608today favorite offers great flat-fee swap and shop options in addition to a free wine and coffee bar.
- Iconi Consignment | 540 W. Washington Ave. | Shop antique, vintage, and mid-century modern furniture while being sustainable to the environment and your wallet.
- Agrace | 118 Junction Rd., 2402 E. Springs Dr., 1946 S. Stoughton Rd. | With three Madison locations, Agrace has no shortage of secondhand clothes and home goods. Do you have some furniture to get rid of? Agrace will come to you for furniture donation pick-ups.
Catch up on sleep
- SSM Sleep Center | 700 S. Brooks St. | From night terrors to snoring, sign up for a consultation or sleep study to get professional feedback on all things sleep-related.
- Soap Opera | 319 State St. | Stock up on sleep balm and lavender-scented everything to curate calm vibes during bedtime. City Editor Ally loves the Sleep Ease beads.