They’re baaack. Today marks the unofficial official start of the spring/summer season — the sunburst chairs are back. Stop by the Memorial Union Terrace, grab a seat, and check out what else Madison’s favorite lakeside spot has to offer.
Before you go, be sure to review the terrace rules and check out the parking options.
While you’re there
Grab a bite to eat:
- Brat Stand | Brats, burgers, grilled chicken, and corn on the cob.
- BBQ Stand | Smokehouse sandwiches and sides.
- Strada | Customize your own wood-fired personal pizza
- Daily Scoop | Scooping up Madison’s very own Babcock ice cream.
- Der Rathskeller | Classic bar food in a German bier hall setting.
- Carte | Sandwiches and made-to-order salads
- Badger Market | UW-Madison’s convenience store.
- Peet’s Coffee | Bakery, sandwiches, and cafe sips.
- Der Stiftskeller | Craft beer and wine by the glass.
- Lakeview Lounge | Family-style pizzas, apps, and a variety of local beer and wine.
Catch a show: Keep tabs on the Wisconsin Union Theater’s event page to catch a show at one of its three performance stages.
Get a job: UW students can apply today for dining hall, arts, custodial, and administrative positions.
The Memorial Union is a membership organization, but anyone is welcome to purchase a one-day membership for $1 — this will allow you to purchase alcohol.
Membership benefits include:
- Discounts on tickets, recreational rentals, classes, and Union hotel stays.
- Access to private tailgates, members-only classes, and free meeting rooms.
Q: Can I bring my dog?
A: Yes, but dogs are only allowed on the path area between the terrace and the lake.
Q: Can I bring my own food?
A: Yes, feel free to bring enough for one person — no alcohol.
Q: Can I reserve a spot on the terrace?
A: No, the 2,000 sunburst chairs are first come, first serve.
Q: Is it accessible?
A: Yes, the Memorial Union is equipped with ramps, elevators, bathrooms, pathways, and direct entrances all geared toward making it wheelchair accessible.