Table of Contents
Each neighborhood of Madison has its own notable quirks, restaurants + charm. This is our series on how to spend a day in each of them. We’re back with another highly requested neighborhood guide.
This time with one of Madison’s quirkiest and oldest neighborhoods — the Williamson-Marquette neighborhood. The bohemian area is a haven for foodies, sustainability geeks + festival lovers, and we can’t wait to show you around.
Start with a breakfast — or brunch — of champions
- Lazy Jane’s Cafe and Bakery | 1358 Williamson St. | Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-2 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., 8 a.m.-2 p.m. | Try this: The corned beef hash + a blackberry scone.
- Batch Bakehouse | 1402 Williamson St. | Wed.-Fri., 7 a.m.-3 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., 8 a.m.-3 p.m. | Try this: Morning bun
- Cafe Domestique | 1408 Williamson St. | Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-3 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., 8 a.m.-3 p.m. | Pro tip: Grab a coffee here before standing in line at Batch.
- Madison Sourdough | 916 Williamson St. | Mon.-Sun., 8 a.m.-3 p.m. | Try this: Madam breakfast sandwich
- Willalby’s Cafe | 1351 Williamson St. | Mon.-Fri., 6 a.m.-2 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., 7 a.m.-3 p.m. | Pro tip: The early bird gets the worm — or a giant pancake.
Get outside and get the body moving
- Yahara Place Park | 2025 Yahara Pl. | Enjoy sprawling views of Lake Monona, a playground, basketball court + volleyball court.
- McPike Park | 202 S. Ingersoll St. | Pull out your skateboard or picnic in the green space.
- Orton Park | 1103 Spaight St. | Bring the kiddos to an all-inclusive playground + enjoy views of the lake.
Shop local on Willy Street
- Willy Street Co-op | 1221 Williamson St. | Mon.-Sun., 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m. | Pick up locally-produced foods or shop for natural products.
- Hatch Art House | 1248 Williamson St. | Mon.-Sun, Open at 11 a.m. | Browse work from local artists and their unique hand-crafted items.
- Hazel General Store | 1250 Williamson St. | Mon.-Sun, Open at 11 a.m. | The sister store to Hatch, find local artisan goods
- Green Life Trading Co. | 1334 Williamson St. | Mon.-Fri., 11 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | A low-waste and sustainable retailer
- The Madison Greenhouse Store | 1354 Williamson St. | Mon.-Sun., Open at 10 a.m. | Plants for urban gardeners and greenhouse growers.
- Rewind Decor | 1336 Williamson St. | Thurs.-Mon., 11 a.m.-5 p.m. | Mid-Century, Hollywood Regency, Post Modern, and Kitschy home decor.
- St. Vinny’s | 1309 Williamson St. | Mon.-Sun., Open at 10 a.m. | Unexpect cool + eclectic finds at Madison’s oldest thrift stores.
- Willy Street Treasure Shop | 1370 Williamson St. | Thurs.-Mon., 11 a.m.-4 p.m. | An affordable eclectic collection of vintage, fun, and funky gifts.
- Meep Meepleton’s World of Fun | 912 Williamson St. | Hours vary | A vintage toy + collectibles store filled with childhood nostalgia.
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere
- Old Sugar Distillery | 931 E. Main St. | Open Thurs.-Sat. | Tours of the distillery equipment are offered on Saturdays at 1:30 p.m.
- Working Draft Beer Company | 1129 E. Wilson St. | Tues-Thurs., 3-9 p.m., Fri.-Sat., 12-10 p.m. + Sun., 12-6 p.m. | Grab a pint or opt for a flight.
- State Line Distillery | 1413 Northern Ct. | Open Thurs.-Sat. | Sip on a classic cocktail paired with Alimentari’s charcuterie board.
- Gib’s Bar | 1380 Williamson St. | Opens at 4 p.m., Tues.-Sat. | Try the community cocktail of the month.
- O’so Madhouse | 1817 E. Washington Ave. | Hours vary | We’re currently eyeing the Pineapple Upside Down Cake brew.
- The Wisco | 852 Williamson St. | Hours vary | Volleyball kicks off again in the summer in the backyard court.
- Mickey’s Tavern | 1524 Williamson St. | Hours vary | Grab a drink + stay for dinner — or just the sexy fries.
Sit down for a well-deserved dinner
- Ha Long Bay | 1353 Williamson St. | Pro tip: Order takeout in person rather than calling the busy phone line.
- Eldorado Grill | 744 Williamson St. | Pro tip: Plenty of gluten-free options.
- La Kitchenette | 805 Williamson St. | Try this: Biquette crepe.
- Burrito Drive | 310 S. Brearly St. | Try this: hungry hippie.
- Weary Traveler Freehouse | 1201 Williamson St. | Pro tip: Dine on the back patio during warmer weather.
- Buraka | 1210 Williamson St. | Pro tip: Order family-style.
- Lao Laan-Xang | 1146 Williamson St. | Pro tip: Currently only open for take-out.
- A Pig in a Fur Coat | 940 Williamson St. | Pro tip: Make a reservation or try first-come, first-serve bar seating.
End the evening with a show — or a game
The Sylvee | 25 S. Livingston St.
- Still Woozy | Sun., Feb. 20 | 8 p.m.
- Beach House | Fri., Feb. 25 | 8 p.m.
- Glass Animals | Wed., Mar. 16 | 8 p.m.
Cafe Coda | 1224 Williamson St.
- Swing Night with The Dalton Gang | Thurs., Mar. 3 | 7 p.m.
- Tim Whalen Nonet | Sat., Mar. 5 | 7 p.m.
I/O Arcade Bar | 924 Williamson St.
- Choose from 70+ games — ranging from Mario Bros to Pacman — and grab a drink at the bar.
There’s still much more to explore. Let us know below which neighborhood we should highlight next.