Table of Contents
Each neighborhood of Madison has its own notable quirks, restaurants + charm. This is the start of a new series on how to spend a day in each section of our city. We start with one of our personal favorites — the Schenk-Atwood-Starkweather-Yahara.
You start an adventure in a single step ― or a single parking space.
Atwood has plenty of metered + free spots all around the area. 2-hour metered parking is available for $1.30/hour + many businesses also have free parking for their patrons.
💡 Pro Tip: The City of Madison has mobile payment for meters to help you find open spots + track your meter time.
Start with a breakfast — or brunch — of champions
- The Victory | 2710 Atwood Ave. | Mon.-Sun., 6:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. | Try This: crumb cake
- Rotunda Cafe | 1965 Atwood Ave. | Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. + Sat., 8 a.m.-2 p.m. | Try this: cortado
- Daisy Cafe and Cupcakery | 2827 Atwood Ave. | Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-2 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-2 p.m. | Try this: German chocolate pancakes
- Stalzy’s Deli | 2701 Atwood Ave. | Tues.-Thurs. and Sun., 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. + Fri.-Sat., 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. | Try this: Brooklyn breakfast
- Monty’s Blue Plate Diner | 2089 Atwood Ave. | Mon.-Sun., 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m. | Pro tip: Great for the carnivores and vegans in your life.
Get outside and get the body moving
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens | 3330 Atwood Ave. | Open daily 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Free+ | Stroll through 16 acres or explore the Bolz Conservatory.
- Lake Monona Bike Loop | Bike a segment of the 13.2 mile trail for lake views | Pro tip: veer off the tail for an ice cream cone at The Atwood Scoop or Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Co.
- Olbrich Park | 3527 Atwood Ave. | Enjoy summertime at the Biergarten or head up the hill for some sledding during the winter
Shop local on Atwood Avenue
- Nutkrack | 2086 Atwood Ave. | Wed.-Fri., 1-6 p.m. + Sat.-Sun. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Pick up a local, vegan, and gluten-free snack to fuel up for the afternoon.
- A Room of One’s Own | 2717 Atwood Ave. | Daily 12-6 p.m. | While currently only open for online orders, shop staff picks + and pick up booklover’s merch ahead of time to pick up on your walk.
- Nineteen66 On Atwood | 2140 Atwood Ave. | Thurs.-Sat., 10 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sun. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | Find the perfect vintage piece for your home.
- Fiddlesticks Knits | 1976 Atwood Ave. | Opens at 10 a.m. daily | Pick up yarn + needles for a new hobby or sign up for classes to learn more about the fiber arts.
- Gail Ambrosius Chocolatier | 2083 Atwood Ave. | Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sat., 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | The day wouldn’t be complete without chocolate. Warm up with a hot chocolate and truffle as you continue down Atwood Ave.
- bad dog frida | 2094 Atwood Ave. | Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | If you’ve got your furry friend with you, stop in to pick up treats + toys.
- Garver Feed Mill | 3241 Garver Green | Pick up Ian’s Pizza, a scoop of ice cream from Calliope Ice Cream or check out the Late Winter Market on Saturday mornings now through April.
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere
- Mint Mark | 1929 Winnebago St. | Opens at 4 p.m. Wed.-Mon. | Grab an old fashioned or Appletini to sip on | Pro tip: reserve a table ahead of time through Resy
- BarleyPop Tab and Shop | 2045 Atwood Ave. | Hours vary | Try one of the 40 brews on tap or grab a growler to go | Pro tip: the shop is pet friendly.
- One Barrel Brewing Company | 2100 Atwood Ave. | Tues.-Fri., 4-10 p.m. + Sat.-Sun., opens at 12 p.m. | A rotating beer and cider list. | Pro tip: Fido is also welcome in the space.
Sit down for a well-deserved dinner
- Tex Tubb’s Tacos Palace | 2009 Atwood Ave. | Try this: margarita flight
- Bar Corallini | 2004 Atwood Ave. | Try this: Ricotta gnocchi
- Nook | 2138 Atwood Ave. | Plan ahead: Make reservations for the 12 seat dining room + tasting menu
- Monsoon Siam | 2045 Atwood Ave. | Try this: Drunken noodles
- Green Owl Cafe | 1970 Atwood Ave. | Pro tip: Plenty of vegan options for those eating plant-based
- Ahan | 2262 Winnebago St. | Pro tip: Check out their Instagram page for specials
- Harmoney Bar & Grill | 2201 Atwood Ave. | Try this: Veggie burger
End the evening with a show
Upcoming shows at the Barrymore
- Patty Griffin | Wed., Jan. 26 | 8 p.m.
- Lucinda Willians and Her Band | Thurs., Feb. 17 | 8 p.m.
- The Mabericks | Sat., Feb. 19 | 8 p.m.
Upcoming shows at the Bur Oak
- Bing Bonb with Zeroed Hero | Fri., Jan. 21
- German Art Students + Moonboot | Wed., Feb. 2
- Flying Fuzz, Silk Stranger, Smoke Free Home | Thurs., Feb. 3
There’s still much more to explore. Let us know below which neighborhood we should highlight next.